9.27.2005

Layover

So thus begins my second Europalooza of this year. I’m really getting spoiled by all this traveling.

I bet Frankfurt isn’t this nice and quiet on a weekday. I have no business being here, Moscow being my destination. Yet sitting in a park, watching a fountain stirring the water and backed by willows sweeping the undulating green, I can’t help but to note how easy this little excursion has been. Everyone I’ve spoken to speaks English, from the airport information desk (expected) to the ice cream stand girl (cautiously expected) to the Spanish tourists (wow). Suddenly, Frankfurt is not the cold city devoid of smiles in my mind.
My advice to you if have a few-hour-long layover anywhere in the world: put the bags in a locker and get the fuck out of the duty free bubble.
An old gent just asked me for directions. “Sorry, I don’t speak German.”
A Beethoven-looking dog wants to play fetch with me. “Sorry, but I’m writing.”
Time to keep going. The
Main River is waiting for my company, and I do have a plane to catch, after all.

No comments: