8.18.2005

Postcards and Human Relations

I've been collecting people's snail mail addies so I can send them postcards while I'm abroad starting next week. What started out as an innocent venture has grown more dimensions.

Maybe just in my mind.

Are postcards for sharing, or bragging? Or both? Do they mean as much to the recipients as to me? Do they mean more? There are the families that make me feel like one of them; some that think less of me. Some friends who I've not seen in ages; some that draw me in like magnets every summer and winter. Then there are the girls I used to have big unrequited crushes on, and one that loves me more than I could ever ask.

Not much fits on a postcard, but so much can be said in so few words and a picture, even the tilt of the postage tells a heart full of stories. What will I be sending you? If nothing, does that also mean something?

No comments: