11.14.2005

O-Left-right-e-left, O-...shit

I don't even know how I get into stuff like this, but I do, and that makes life more interesting. I told Zhenya that I'd be back within half an hour. I had always dreamt of running along the Moscow River. Ok, so this was only a narrow tributary, but it's the closest to our apartment.
It was cold, probably below 0, but running to Marine cadences in my head made me proud and warm. The cars speeding by on one side sent godknowswhatawfultoxicgases into my oxygen-craving lungs. But I loved it. 25 min later, I decided to stop and walk back to the apartment. So I went back up the hill with the path that resembled what I took when I got to the river, and of course got myself into a dark and deserted part of eastern Moscow. I had very little idea where I was, though I wasn't far away from where I wanted to be. I walked carefully along the path in a park, past a building guarded by a cammied soldier in a beanie carrying a rifle. Shit. I hoped he didn't see me, and I slowly tried to melt back deeper into the park, hiding myself in the shadows.
Good thing I brought a map in my pocket, where my sweat soaked through my shorts and the paper rubbed againt the fabric. Smart. Anyway, eventually I came out where I wanted to be, but it was an hour later. The sweat-soaked turtleneck was no longer warm, and I was more anxious than proud. Still, it was an adventure, so I'll do it again some other day.

No comments: