11.23.2005

They look like AZNs, but They are NOT AZNs!!!



So I'm racist against my own race.

I saw them at--get this--the club Chinese Pilot Zou Da (Китаиский Лётчук Джао Да). My second fave Russian band Luk (Люк, or Manhole) was playing there, and I'm Chinese, and I'm a--fine, future--pilot...ok, there was no missing this. I thought they were Korean, but something was off about them. It took hours before I got up the nerve to approach them, and they turned out to be totally cool.
Narik (who reminded me of Tonkid, my sophomore year ping pong partner from Thailand) speaks very good English, and I'm apparently good enough to fake my Russian with the two girls, Lida and Natasha. But they usually just talked to each other; I have that effect on women, it's a talent, I know.

So they aren't Koreans. They aren't even Asians, technically. It turns out that just north of the Caucuses lies the little Republic of Kalmykia, the only Buddhist terroritory in Europe (This is west of the Volga). They speak perfect Russian and Kalmyk. They are Russians! This was too much for me to handle, so I had some more beer with them and got drunker. My Russian improves the more I imbibe, so as the night wore on and the snow began to fall on Moscow, I became more and more fascinated with this people.

Apparently, Stephen's Russian gets even better UI. How else could he, after studying less than 3 months of Russian, flying solo, keep two Russian girls within range for 3 hours!?!?!?!?!?! I had to get their number for him, but that's only because the alcohol wiped out his memory, too. I heart Stephen.

Oh yeah, and Люк rocked.

No comments: