10.19.2005

Istanbul: Para Agua y Soledad


Upon reading that there are no cars on the Princes' Islands (turned out to be only mostly true), I needed no further convincing. I got the whole group to come with minimal effort; a boat trip to exotic islands is crack-esque: it sells itself.
Following an outdoor lunch beneath a bridge spanning the Golden Horn, we embarked on the 1.5-hr journey to Buyukada Island (I'm too lazy to put the two German dots above the u's). It all reminded me of my boat trips back in Taiwan last month, and for an instant I missed my island, my family and friends. I love the water, the trail of white foam assuring me that we know our way back despite the vastness of the sea.
There's a serious cat infestation on this island, and I wished I could take them all home. They sunbathed on boats, strolled about the deserted streets, stood on the steps and porches of unoccupied and uninteresting European houses. Between dealing with a scamming horse carriageman and finding our way back to the port, there wasn't enough time to explore the parts I really wanted: the forests in the heart of the island. The expedition was well worth the trade, though. Along the way we hugged the beautiful northern coastline, and I had never seen so many jellyfish in their natural habitat. I was very pleased. I wouldn't have minded staying there for a day or two, despite the kid who made a crusty old Asian imitation upon my passing.
Truthfully, I had wanted to fly solo in the planning stage, but once we got going, I was glad to have the group to talk and laugh with on the boat and meander together aim-/cluelessly on an island that spoke not our tongue. In time, the conversation fell upon the issues with parents on the boat ride back, and the Greek sage was right: Everyone else is fighting a harder battle. Maybe not everyone, but that's enough for me.
Now let's burn some bridges. I loved the company over dinner followed by apple tea and expensive dessert, but our group seemed to have trouble paying bills in full. The concept of putting more than necessary and getting change back later remains out of reach for some, though I was happy to lay down the extra lira (or two, or three...) just so we could get the show on the road. Once, I understand. Twice, someone is just not pulling their weight out of their wallet. Not cool, and there would be no thrice.
I got my wish on the last day. Owing to the aforementioned estrogen imbalance, I alone thought about visiting the Aviation Museum. Fourty-five liras lighter, I haven't felt so free since my 4-hr penetration into the heart of Frankfurt. No one to follow, no one to lead, I read every posting and satisfied my gluttony for photos. It didn't matter that I must've looked completely pathetic and silly running back and forth between a bench and the static ATG display just to get the shot I wanted. It was all my time and mine alone. Once again, I had the pleasure of meeting foreign military personnel and talking with them about things that only we appreciate. You see, even when I'm alone, I'm not alone.

No comments: